Photobucket

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Unrestrained Praise

For the longest time after I came to faith in Christ, my worship was reserved (half-hearted), polite, and detached. Anybody around me that raised their hands a lot, whether for clapping or only raised high in the air, was viewed as something close to an extremist or simply as an over-emotional person. From now on, I'm taking my orders and fulfilling my desire through the exhortation of the psalmist who instructs us "Clap your hands all peoples, shout to God with a voice of joy." (Psalm 47:1) We all need to forget what others may think about us and bring "worthship" to God with our voices, our raised hands, clapping hands and yielded heart. True worship needs to be free and spontaneous, not scripted and restrained. So next time you see someone truly celebrating God's Person and His deeds in our worship service by use of their hands, don't give them a puzzled look, encourage them. Maybe the rest of us will be ignited by their flame.

Medical update: Radiation has taken its toll on my red and white blood count. I will be receiving some blood this evening. They will have to have a restraining order to keep me from reaching home next week!

No comments: