Photobucket

Friday, January 16, 2009

Beauty and Beyond

The wisest man who ever lived, and the wealthiest in his day, knew from observation and experience some things were extremely rare. He wasn't talking about fine art, unique jewelry, or exceptional coins. He was speaking of that rare find of an excellent wife. The rhetorical question that Proverbs 31 begins with serves primarily to emphasize you may be looking a long time. Solomon points out that her value will be far above jewels. He doesn't say above the price of jewels, or just above the price of jewels, but far above the price of jewels. In other words, she is priceless. Thirty years ago come August the woman that Solomon speaks of was brought face to face with me, and I can't claim any credit for finding her. By God's grace I will have another thirty years with her. While time and space don't permit me to elaborate on the whole passage or provide illustrations of how my "treasure" fits these verses, let me just underscore verse 11, which states that the "heart of her husband trusts her." Verse 30 states that "many daughters have done nobly but you excel them all." I can see Solomon and myself going head to head over whose rare find came out on top. I think that I did. The Lord already knew that I felt this way about His gift to me. I just wanted you to know also. (Let me say congratulations to my brother-in-law Mike who marks his own rare find 25 years ago this week.)

Continue to pray that my liver enzyme count comes down. I am happy to have completed the first round of chemotherapy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course you won the head to head on wives! LOL
Now behave and eat or I'll be back.
Love ya both

Jim & Lela said...

Happy Birthday Eunice! Please know that the best birthday present I can give you under these (or any)circumstances is my continued - multi-daily prayers for both you and Chris. I would love to be there to help minister to you. Please know that I am there in spirit. Love, Lela