Photobucket

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Job's Friends?? (An oxymoron?)

I cannot imagine enduring a hard and lengthy trial without the comfort and encouragement of friends, especially our friends back in McCook, Nebraska. So it strikes me funny how Job had a different perspective of his companions. They must have been close at one time, but as the book unfolds they have become repetitious - "I have heard many such things" (16:1). They have become thoughtless - "There is no limit to empty words" (16:2). We do know from the reading of the book that they were certainly contentious. What is Job's conclusion? "Sorry comforters are you all!" (16:2). While comfort often involves the use of words, I have often thought Job's friends would have rendered him a greater service by their quiet presence than their verbal jousting. Can we remember that simply in our showing up when our friends are hurting we show our love and care and concern? I thank all of you who have written notes on your cards, for choosing and using the right words to minister God's grace to us. They are like "apples of gold in settings of silver" (Prov. 25:11) whatever that means, but it must be pretty! It is obviously impractical for most of you to be here physically, but so many have found a way to "show up" through a card, e-mail, gift, or phone call. You all are sensational comforters!

We are awaiting the results of a liver test. Pray that this will be a positive report. Lungs seem to be functioning better. We are hoping to resume radiology on Monday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Pastor Chris and Eunice, We are praying for GREAT test results today and that treatment can continue. It snowed here last night, not much but enough that Syd wants to make a snow angel and send it to you both. We love and miss you very much! In His Love, Toni

Anonymous said...

Pastor Chris and Eunice,
I will pray for a good result on the liver test. I'm glad to hear our prayers are being answered in that your lungs are getting better. You two are so missed! I hope and pray that you can feel all the love coming to you from up north! I frequently think of you when I read verses that speak of endurance and trials, and I wonder sometimes how you see His rod and His staff while you're going thru the valley of the shadow of death (I hope I don't offend, but that's how I picture what you're going thru - kind of like Pilgrim's Progress). I was thinking about that today - His rod and His staff - why would they be of comfort? I always thought the shepherd used the rod to discipline the sheep and even though I know discipline is necessary and good for us, it doesn't seem too comforting. Then I thought about the rod and the staff being used on my enemies instead of on me and suddenly they sounded pretty good. Tough protection when the going was rough. I picture you now walking along protected by the mighty and powerful reach of His rod and staff against all comers, giving you great comfort knowing He's in charge of your security.

'nuf said. I hope I didn't fall into the Job "friend" category - too much talk and not enough heart. I can't wait until you get home so we can love on you in person!

Your sister in Christ,
Marcia