Photobucket

Monday, January 12, 2009

Are You Hungry?

With the acquisition of pneumonia there has been a suspension of physical appetite. I have very little interest in eating, no matter what is on the tray they set before me. There are times I want to say, "Don't even take the lid off - just take it back to the kitchen." It reminds me of an illustration that Howard Hendricks used to share in his class on Bible Study Methods. He said, "Show me a baby with no appetite and I'll show you a sick baby." He quickly transferred this metaphor into a spiritual lesson. Jesus said in Matthew 5:6, "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they shall be satisfied." I never could really understand how believers could keep from craving the Word of God, the knowledge of the Most High, the participation in a banquet of truth. The Beatitudes affirm both blessing and satisfaction to the one who has the strong appetite for the things of God. I believe that the greatest enjoyment in having the strong appetite for the things of God is to have His presence at the banquet table with us. "O taste and see that the Lord is good" and then watch your appetite grow from there.

Medical news - treatment for pneumonia continues in ICU and we hope it is soon completed so we can resume radiology. Test results were encouraging - I am getting better! We hope to move to a regular room tomorrow, and the doctor said I will be there the rest of the week. This does postpone our return to the end of the month.

Please pray for MEFC's participants in the Holy Land trip that starts tomorrow and goes for the next 10 days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear the antibiotics are working and you're feeling better! I guess though that I won't be able to stick around and greet you at the airport...bummer!

I absolutely cannot wait to see you.
Even though I've been distracted a bit as of late (wink, wink), you've never been very far from my mind, my heart, and definitely my prayers.

Love you and miss you both so much!
Angela

Kerri said...

We are so glad to hear that you are doing better and will be able to move out of ICU soon! We love you and our thoughts and prayers are with you daily.

Thanks so much for sharing so much of yourself via this blog. Your faith and strength are a powerful testimony to us readers!

All our love,
Ashley & Kerri