Photobucket

Sunday, January 18, 2009

New Heaven - New Earth - Just Ahead

Can you imagine driving down the interstate and seeing these words, "New Heaven - New Earth - Just Ahead" posted on a sign off the shoulder of the road? These are among the most encouraging words of Scripture, found in Rev. 21:1-6. They are so encouraging because of the "no mores" (what is excluded) and the "lots mores" (what is included) in the new heavens and new earth. With great anticipation we can look forward to breathtaking brilliance, breathtaking beauty, and the Bridegroom's presence (mentioned two times in verse 3). The things that are excluded include death, mourning, crying and pain, as we read that the first things have passed away. I hope that you continue to hold things loosely down here as we anticipate the new things there...not just beauty, not just brilliance, but the Bridegroom who loved us and gave Himself for us (Eph. 5:25), and whose presence will never leave us. No wonder Paul wrote to believers to set their minds on things that are above. I trust that you are doing so with each passing day.

My radiation treatments, of which I have eight remaining, resume Monday. We have not been dismissed from the hospital yet, but were able to obtain permission to leave for an hour. CT scan results were encouraging in that they did not see any clear difficulty, so no surgery is being scheduled. Please pray for improvement in ongoing tests.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Chris for your continued encouragement to look to the future with the Lord Jesus Christ and all that he has for us. Please continue to stay the course. Anthony and I met this last Friday to resume our mutual encouragement of one another at the hospitals cafeteria at 6:30am. Breakfast afterwards just wasn't the same without you and your ordering hash browns extra crispy. I look forward to seeing you soon. GJ

Anonymous said...

Dear Pastor Chris, when I read your Sat. posting I was so struck speechless. I have been thinking about it all day, I absolutely believe the test you are going through,is not for you. I know your thinking "well I'm the one going through it" but it is for the rest of us to see your humility,grace and your unfaltering love for God. Many of us might turn our anger to God, or on the church. But you are showing the rest of us how to have faith and believe in His plan. You are such an inspiration, you have no idea how nuch you inspire me to face the challenges I have. We love and miss you both greatly, Toni

Anonymous said...

I love you, Uncle Chris! You and the family are in my thoughts and prayers each day. I enjoy spending time each evening reading your what God placed on your heart and to see how your day went. You are truely missed. Wish we could be there w/ you. Your faithfulness to the Lord during this trial has been an inspiration to me. I thought of you tonight during my bible study when I read this verse: "But blessed are those who trust in the Lord and have made the Lord their hope and confidence." Jeremiah 17:7.