Photobucket

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Thinking Outside the Box (Yourself)

In my quiet time this morning, I was reminded of one of the believer's subtle and restless enemies - the flesh. Paul writes, "Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves." (Phil. 2:3) This enemy is not something that can be remedied through nearby doctors or special medication. I have discovered that with my medical condition and the length of time we've been on the healing path, I've had time to refine my own tendency toward self interest and excuse it away too. The thermostat should be placed at the temperature I desire. The ice chips in my hospital cup must be at a certain level. If I'm more comfortable at night with a light on, it must stay on. Where we eat breakfast, lunch or dinner can be decided by me on a whim. If I need the computer or the cell phone at a certain time, then because of "my condition" I gain an edge over these items. Over the years, we've all heard people say, "If I don't look out for #1 (meaning themselves) no one else will." Actually Jesus Christ was completely devoid of seeking His own interests, and the Spirit-filled believer, in the same fashion, will not regard his own interests more important than others, but has other people's concerns and cares high on the list of prayer and assistance. If you need two solid examples of this type of humility and divestment of self interest, you need to only look as far as Jesus Christ (Phil. 2:5-8) and Timothy (Phil. 2:20). May the Spirit of God that indwells us also humble us and cause us to yield to the Word and the admonition here to think outside of the box (ourselves).

Medical update: 8 radiology treatments left, and an oncologist in North Platte who travels to McCook has been referred. I attended an early lecture this morning by Dr. Kenneth Cooper, founder of the Cooper Aerobics Center and who was "tapped" one time by President Bush for the office of surgeon general. He was an encyclopedia of knowledge on nutrition, exercise, heart and body health, and much more. He is a man of faith who attends Prestonwood Baptist Church, and very gracious in answering questions as they relate to nutrition for someone on chemotherapy. Just a footnote - Americans need terribly to raise their level of Vitamin D and Omega 3's. Regarding servings of fruits and veggies he stated quite memorably, "5 servings a day is fine, but 9 is divine." Thank you for reading these ramblings.

Our love to you - Chris and Eunice

No comments: