Photobucket

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Some Help in Avoiding Pride and Presumption

Between the closing door of 2008 and the opening door of 2009, the book of James, sometimes referred to as the Proverbs of the New Testament, gives us wisdom in our approach to daily living. Especially in chapter 4, verses 13-15, "Come now, you who say, today or tomorrow, we shall go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit. Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. Instead, you ought to say, If the Lord wills we shall live and also do this or that." Chuck Swindoll this morning at Stonebriar underscored James' perspective of presumption by pointing out how this man selected a location, chose his activities, and assumed he would make a profit, yet in a few words is reminded "you do not know what comes with tomorrow." Note how James does not say next week or next year, but selects the closest day. We do not know what tomorrow holds. With anyone, tomorrow may mean a setback in health, a relative chooses drugs, a member of the family falls in love, a grad student is accepted to med school, a transfer to North Dakota. The essence of James' exhortation and Pastor Swindoll's explanation is that instead of planning like you've got it all wired, there is a will that we need to respect. That is found in the verse, "...you ought to say, If the Lord wills we shall live and also do this or that." This will be a helpful antidote to those of us who live presumptuously.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris and Eunice - my how you are missed! I hope that these past few days with the girls and each other have been joyful in the midst of your sufferings. Our Savior's birth made all the difference for us - the difference between eternal life and death, and for that I am eternally grateful as I know you are. I'm glad you're at the halfway point for radiation because we're well beyond the halfway point in wanting you both home where you belong! You are anxiously awaited! Thanks for being so faithful in writing us thru this blog - it's comforting to know your thoughts and feelings, and to vicariously enjoy Pastor Swindoll's messages :o) (its almost as good as being there!) HURRY HOME!!!!!!!!!!
Love, Marcia and Mark Felder

PS Rachel blew a kiss to you both at the computer - hope you can catch it!

Anonymous said...

Chris--when I read your words, this song started playing in my head

I don’t know
About tomorrow
I just live from day to day
And I don’t borrow from it’s sunshine
For it’s skies may turn to gray
And I don’t worry about my future
For I know what jesus said
And today he walks beside me
For he knows what lies ahead
Many things about tomorrow
I don’t seem to understand
But I know who holds tomorrow
And I know who holds my hand

I am so thankful for our Lord!
with love and prayers
Michelle Lytle

Anonymous said...

Dear Pastor and Eunice, I am so happy to know you are halfway through the the treatment. I go to church and I still expect to see your smiling faces. Whenever I read your postings I am inspired by your grace and courage. The new year will be renewel for all of us. We love and miss you terribly, Toni

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you and Happy New Year. I hope your Christmas was a wonderful time of celebrating our Saviour's birth. We attended Christmas Eve services at the church but have not had Christmas with our family yet. We will not be with our family until New Years Day. I think it would be appropiate to celebrate Christ's birth a week late don't you?? His birth and His death should be a constant reminder to us that we shall have eternal life with Him because of His great sacrafice.
We have so enjoyed your writings. What a brilliant man you are. Do you know how much you and Eunice are missed? We are so thankful that you are half way through your treatments. We are looking forward to your return to McCook and to the church. God so richly blessed us when you came to McCook and we miss you dearly.
We are praying that the next few weeks go quickly for you and that your treatments do what they are supposed to do in your body.
Have a Happy New Year and remember we are all waiting with open arms to welcome you home.
Love,
Evelyn and Terry