Photobucket

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Update Tuesday 11/25

We have all come to realize that the process of medical treatment is never a straight line, but a series of zigs and zags. Some good news, and some not so good news.

The good news is that this morning we learned that Chris' swelling in the brain has reduced since Monday morning's CAT scan. In the words of the doctor, Chris' CAT scan looked "wonderful" this morning. This means that the possibility of another surgery to remove the fluid build up in the brain is reduced, and this evening the doctor told us that if the CAT scan tomorrow morning continues to improve, he will move Chris to a private room where Eunice can stay with him overnight.

Another piece of good news is that this evening's nurse (they work 7:00 to 7:00 shifts, and need our prayers) is a Christian who upon learning that Chris is a pastor specifically asked to be his nurse. And, she agreed to let Eunice stay with Chris this evening in the ICU!

All of this is so important because one of the not so good news we are experiencing is that the steroids that Chris is given to reduce the swelling in his brain cause him to have some severe anxiety attacks. We all know that this is abnormal for Chris, but they are real and they prevent him from getting any deep rest at night. Eunice's presence will, we pray, make a big difference this evening and from here on.

Another piece of not so good news is that the pathology report on the tumor came back this afternoon and confirmed that Chris is suffering from a grade 4 glioblastoma tumor. We know that this is serious but our plan is to proceed with radiation therapy and chemotherapy which we pray will restore Chris to a full life and get him back to McCook soon. Much progress has been made in the treatment of these tumors, and fortunately we will be working with a neuro oncologist who is nationally known to be a leading doctor in fighting this disease.

Chris will be beginning some serious physical therapy (three hours a day) on Wednesday, and he really likes the therapists who are working with him.

Our prayer request this evening is for Chris to be relieved of the anxiety attacks that have been making his nights so miserable, and for continued healing of his brain so he can fully participate in the physical therapy and strengthen his body. Also, of course, please continue to pray for Eunice's strength and for wisdom of the doctors treating Chris.

We continue to trust in the Lord, and are reminded of Psalm 91:2,5, which reads: "I will say to the Lord, 'My refuge and my fortress, My God, in whom I trust'...You will not be afraid of the terror of the night, of of the arrow that flies by day."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mom,
I found this picture online tonight. (Link is below just copy and paste) I remember it reminding dad of me and bethany. words can't express how much I miss you guys. I'm going to attempt to cook some dishes for Thanksgiving tomorrow. It won't be the same without you. I miss you more than you know. Give dad a kiss for me. I love you.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f211/LaurenA6881/dad.jpg

Lauren

Anonymous said...

More than anything I wish that your girls could be having Thanksgiving with you and Chris. I still remember the Thanksgiving your family came over for dessert with Laura. That's when I got a glimpse of Lauren's wit.

My hope and prayer is that Thursday will be a blessing for them in our home - I'm sure Abi will have some antics that will amuse them and Christi exacerbate the situation by laughing and laughing. I told Abi what Lauren was planning on bringing-she squealed that these were all her favorites-forget the turkey!

We have been invited over to the Smiths for dessert and games-it will be a competitive evening. I'm hoping there will be no blood.

"Be Thou to me a rock of strength, a stronghold to save me. For Thou art my rock and my fortress; For Thy name's sake Thou wilt lead me and guide me. . . as for me, I trust in Thee, O LORD, I say, 'Thou art my God.' My times are in your hands."
Psalm 31:2b-3, 15

We love you both and miss you,
Sharon