Photobucket

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Surgery update

Psalm 91 starts out, "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, 'My refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust!'" It is still our determination to run to that refuge, to abide in His shadow, and to believe Him when we cannot see that His plan makes sense. He calls us all to walk by faith, and this is surely His call to us today.

The surgery was successful in that the doctor was able to remove all of the tumor that could be seen. We will have to wait until next week to get the final report on the type, but the neurosurgeon believes that the tumor was a stage four aggressive malignant tumor. He believes it originated in his brain and has only been there about three months. Chris did very well, and the doctor said his young age and great health are huge factors in his recovery. God answered so many of the things that weighed heavy on us. When Chris woke up in recovery he was very alert, quick-witted, considerate of others, with his usual sense of humor. He amazed doctors and nurses, and when I walked into ICU he blessed me with the Hebrew version of Psalm 1, complete with English translation! We have been so grateful to have our precious family surrounding us, and as each one of the kids came in to see him he asked if they had a good day! He is able to see (although things are blurry right now) and move both arms and legs.

The plan at this point is to recover for two weeks, and then start radiation treatments, five days a week for four weeks. If he responds to that, it could be followed with chemo. The treatments will be aggressive to match the aggressive nature of the tumor. At this point the doctor says there is no cure and we will be seeing this again. He doesn't know how long until there could be a recurrence.

We still cling to the end of Psalm 91, "Because he has loved me, therefore I will deliver him. I will set him securely on high because he has known my name. He will call upon me, and I will answer him. I will be with him in trouble, I will rescue him and honor him. With a long life I will satisfy him and let him behold my salvation."

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eunice and Family,

It's hard to know just what to say to encourage you. Our hearts are heavy. If you could have seen the tears and hugs today, you would know just how much you're loved!!

I took my Bible and a notebook along to church today and as I would read something that spoke to me, I would write it in the notebook. Those first two verses in Psalm 91 were some that I copied.

Our prayers have not changed...we will continue to ask for a miracle.

Please give Chris a hug for me and tell him I love him!

I love you more than words could say!!

Angi

Anonymous said...

Can't sleep.... one more thought...

Because He lives, I can face tomorrow. Because He lives, all fear is gone. Because I know who holds the future, I can face uncertain days Because He Lives!!

~Angi

Aaron Caulder said...

My prayers and thoughts are with you and the entire family that I love.

Unknown said...

Chris and family,

"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose."

Not a verse for the faint of faith, for it means even the terrible and unfair things in life can be brought by God for our eternal good, if we are are his own or as the verse says, we truly love God.

My prayer is that your faith will be demonstrated to be persevering faith, that God will be glorified in this and that he will desire to be glorified through your healing.

"The secret mysteries belong to You
We only know what You reveal
And all my questions that are unresolved
Don’t change the wisdom of Your will
In every trial and loss
My hope is in the cross
Where Your compassions never fail"
-Sovereign Grace Ministries

Toby Free

Jim Nasium said...

Chris, Eunice, and family;

Our family sends many heartfelt prayers to all of you, especially Pastor Chris. Rather than weep at the many "what ifs", we will rejoice and celebrate in knowing that he came through the surgery so well, and maintains such a positive attitude!

It is also our prayer that God will heal Chris, bring you through these dark and difficult days, and allow you to return to McCook very soon.

Matthew 21:13 says, "My house will be called a house of prayer!" And so it was at MEFC this week. We are all bound together in His love, and will continue to be Prayer Warriors for you.

God Bless all of you!

Jimmy, Toni, Shelby, Christian, Hope, Grace, and Sydney

Emmanuel Reinbold said...

Chris, Eunice, and family,

Please know that you are in our prayers and that we are praying for God's mighty power to be shown at work in all that takes place. I am also praying for your strength, peace, and stamina during these difficult days!

Emmanuel Reinbold

Anonymous said...

Chris, Eunnice and kids.
What can I say? You know you are loved in Arapaho OK and are missed.
Warren and I and the kids are praying for your recoverey from surgery. I wish I could be there for my little sister and big Bro. Let us know when you need us. I can drive pretty fast if I need to!
Love you all.
Hugs to the kids.
Jeanne & Warren.

Emily Schmidt Lynch said...

Chris & Eunice,

Your family is a part of mine and you hold a big place in my heart. I love you all and think of you often. I am praying for you during this difficult time.

Emily (Schmidt) Lynch
Psalm 62:5-8

Anonymous said...

Dear Chris and Eunice and family,
Our school family is praying for you and expecting a miracle. God is the great healer and He will do so. Love you all,
Lynn and Joanie and the WOCS family.

Anonymous said...

Eunice, Chris,and family every day you are in our prayers. Praise God about the report so far. We pray for God's healing hand. We still will have plenty of time when you get back to catch a basketball game. Love Dale and Joan

Queen B said...

I will be praying for all of you as well. God is almighty and so powerful! I pray that he gives you all the physical and emotional strength and peace that you need. Keep holding tight to a faith that he will make all things well!

-Dallas

Anonymous said...

Chris, Eunice and Family,

We are so glad to hear that you were reciting Psalms in Hebrew!! Now that's the Pastor Chris we all know!! God is already doing miracles in your life!!! We continue to pray for you all the time. We love you and can't wait to see you back in McCook.

Anonymous said...

Chris and Eunice,
You continue to fill our thoughts and prayers including the prayers of our girls. We are so encouraged by hearing Chris woke up and recited Psalm 1 in Hebrew! How precious those words must have sounded. We pray God will give you strength and healing during this time and that He will be glorified in the midst of this. We miss seeing you as we drive by your house each day and look forward to when you will be back home!

Love,
Tonia, Brent, Shelbi, Cinamon, and Aspen

Anonymous said...

"Infinite wisdom has arranged the whole with infinite love; and infinite power enables me—to rest upon that love. I am in a dear Father's hands—all is secure. When I look to Him, I see nothing but faithfulness—and immutability—and truth; and I have the sweetest peace—I cannot have more peace." (Charles Simeon)

Simeon spoke this in a time of great physical suffering. This we pray for you - a peace that surpasses understanding, a resting on the amazing hope of the gospel of Christ that never changes, sweet moments together as a family amidst the new environment you've been thrown into. You will not be let go of by a dear Father's hands. This we praise our God for tonight.

Anonymous said...

Chris, Eunice & family,
You're in our thoughts many times each day and we are praying for a miracle, too, because we think God will use you to bring many more people to follow HIM!
We miss and love you guys!

Bethany,
Shelby wants to say that she misses hangin' out with you, but knows that you are making a difference being there for your Daddy. We also miss singing with you at choir practice. Have a good Thanksgiving! I hope you all can come back soon!

Love,
Jesse, Steph, Shelby & Andrew

Anonymous said...

Please tell Dr. Atkins that I'm praying for him. I love you all!

-Phyllis Knight