Photobucket

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Thanksgiving 24/7

As we travel through life, sometimes the easiest thing is the most non-productive...to focus on the reversals, or how we got a raw deal, or how life isn't fully meeting our expectations. I wish we could have the attitude of a previous century Bible teacher named Matthew Henry, who wrote these words in his diary after being robbed: "Let me be thankful. First, because I was never robbed before. Second, because although they took my wallet, they did not take my life. Third, because although they took my all, it was not much. Fourth, because it was I who was robbed, not I who robbed." (They would not be able to take much out of my wallet either, for the medical community already has!) When the Word of God says to give thanks in everything, I think that Matthew Henry's diary reflects a supreme example in how to do this. I trust that whether you journal or not your habit and mine will be as his.

On a medical note: last week's MRI brought the positive results of no tumor activity. My bilirubin count dropped 2 points, to 33, and any downward movement is greeted with gratitude. I am working to replace some of the 40 pounds that I have lost. A better appetite helps, but with the dry mouth, it is still a challenge. I look forward to preaching both services this Sunday in the pastor's absence from the pulpit and we are also looking forward to the benefit Fernando Ortega concert on April 19th.

No comments: