Photobucket

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Large Lessons From a Small Town

Growing up in a small town in Missouri, I learned the distinctions between justice, mercy and grace. Justice is getting what we do deserve. Frequently, my father was the dispenser of justice as my disobedience received the rod of his correction. Mercy is not getting what we do deserve. Not long after I purchased my first car, another student and I played cat and mouse at night with our lights off. The policeman that pulled me over said that I must have run 10 stop signs, but showed mercy in writing up one ticket. Grace, however, is getting what we do not deserve. The yard work that I did for a business owner downtown was usually sloppy and half finished, yet he not only continued to give me a paycheck, but often attached extra to it. He gave me what I did not deserve. In much larger measure, the Lord Jesus Christ has been rich in mercy toward me and exceedingly abundant in grace. Through Him I have forgiveness of sins, access to the Father, an undefiled inheritance reserved in heaven, a prepared place with Him and much more. "Wonderful grace of Jesus, greater than all my sin. How shall my tongue describe it? Where shall it's praise begin?" I trust you are exulting in that same grace.

Medical news: I met with the oncologist today and received assurance of her strong personal interest and ongoing strategy.

No comments: